I Once Was Broke is an inspiring story about hardship, friendship, perseverance, and believing in a better future. Racine learns that having empty pockets doesn’t mean having an empty future—and that one true friend can make a difference along the way.
I Once Was Broke
There was a time in my life when having a few dollars in my pocket felt like having a fortune.
I remember looking down at my empty wallet and wondering how I was going to make it through another week. I had dreams, just like everyone else, but dreams seemed difficult to hold onto when you were worried about your next meal, your next bus ride, or whether you could afford the things other people considered ordinary.
My name is Racine, and I once was broke.
Not just broke in money, but broke in confidence.
I grew up learning early that life did not always give everyone the same opportunities. My family did the best they could, but there were times when money was so tight that every purchase had to be carefully considered. I watched people around me enjoy things that I could only imagine having someday.
Still, I had one thing that money could not buy: a good friend.
His name was Kirk.
Kirk and I had been friends since childhood. We were different in many ways, but somehow those differences made our friendship stronger. Kirk came from a family that was more financially comfortable than mine, but he never made me feel less important because of it.
He was the kind of friend who would sit beside me when I was quiet and ask, “What’s on your mind?”
Sometimes I would tell him.
Other times, I would simply shake my head.
One afternoon, while we were sitting outside after school, I finally admitted what had been bothering me.
“I don’t know if I’m going anywhere in life,” I said.
Kirk looked at me.
“Why would you say that?”
“Because I’m tired of struggling. I see other people moving forward, and I’m always trying to figure out how to get through the day.”
Kirk was quiet for a moment.
Then he said something I never forgot.
“Where you start doesn’t decide where you finish.”
I looked at him and smiled.
It sounded simple, but those words stayed with me.
High school was not always easy. I had responsibilities outside of school, and there were days when I was more concerned about money than homework. Sometimes I wanted to give up.
There were also people around us who made poor choices. Some believed that school was a waste of time. Others thought the quickest way to make money was more important than building a future.
For a while, I listened to those voices.
I started wondering whether education would really change anything for me.
Kirk noticed.
One day, he pulled me aside.
“You’re better than this,” he said.
“Better than what?”
“Better than giving up on yourself.”
I didn’t answer.
He continued.
“You keep talking about wanting a different life. If you want it, you have to work for it.”
His words bothered me because I knew he was right.
That night, I sat at my desk and looked at my schoolbooks. For the first time in a long time, I stopped thinking about what I didn’t have and started thinking about what I could build.
I decided I would finish high school.
Then I would go to college.
And somehow, someday, I would create a life that looked different from the one I had grown up with.
It wasn’t easy.
There were moments when I wanted to quit. There were nights when I stayed awake worrying about money. There were times when I compared myself to people who seemed to have everything handed to them.
But whenever I felt like giving up, I remembered Kirk’s words.
Where you start doesn’t decide where you finish.
I kept going.
When high school graduation finally arrived, I stood among my classmates wearing a cap and gown. I looked out at the crowd and thought about how many times I had doubted myself.
For a moment, I thought about the boy who had once stared at an empty wallet and wondered whether he would ever have a better life.
That boy was still part of me.
But he wasn’t going to control my future.
Kirk stood beside me.
“We made it,” he said.
I smiled.
“We’re just getting started.”
College brought a new set of challenges.
I had to work harder than ever. I had to learn how to manage school, responsibilities, and finances. There were times when I wondered if I had made the right decision.
But every semester I completed was another reminder that I was moving forward.
I learned something important during those years.
Being poor had taught me how to appreciate things that other people sometimes took for granted.
A paid bill.
A warm meal.
A new pair of shoes.
A chance to sit in a classroom and learn.
An opportunity to apply for a job.
I began to understand that success was not always about suddenly becoming rich. Sometimes success was simply having the strength to keep moving when life gave you every reason to stop.
Kirk and I continued encouraging each other.
We talked about our goals, our careers, and the kind of lives we wanted to create.
Eventually, the day came when I graduated from college.
I held my diploma in my hands and felt tears come to my eyes.
I thought about my younger self again.
The kid with the empty pockets.
The kid who wondered whether he would ever have enough.
I realized something then.
My empty wallet had never meant I had an empty future.
After graduation, I began building my career. It didn’t happen overnight. I had to apply for jobs, face rejection, learn new skills, and prove myself.
There were still difficult days.
But they were different now.
I no longer saw difficulties as proof that I could not succeed.
I saw them as part of the journey.
Little by little, my life changed.
I was able to earn a steady income. I could help my family when they needed me. I could save money. I could make plans without constantly worrying about whether I could afford them.
And then something happened that I once thought was impossible.
I started traveling.
The first time I boarded a plane for a trip I had paid for myself, I sat by the window and looked down at the clouds.
I smiled.
Years earlier, I had been worried about having enough money for the bus.
Now I was flying across the world.
I visited places I had only seen in photographs. I experienced different cultures, tasted unfamiliar foods, walked through beautiful cities, and met people whose lives were completely different from mine.
But no matter where I went, I never forgot where I had started.
One evening, while traveling, I called Kirk.
“Do you remember when we used to talk about having a better life?” I asked.
He laughed.
“Of course I remember.”
“I never thought we’d actually get here.”
There was a pause.
“Neither did I,” he said. “But you kept going.”
I looked out at the lights of the city below me.
“No,” I said. “We kept going.”
Because that was the truth.
Kirk had been there when I doubted myself. He had reminded me of my potential when I couldn’t see it myself.
Friendship doesn’t always mean having someone who can solve your problems.
Sometimes it means having someone who reminds you that you are capable of solving them yourself.
Today, when I look back at my life, I don’t feel ashamed of the years when I was broke.
Those years taught me lessons that money never could.
They taught me patience.
They taught me gratitude.
They taught me determination.
And most importantly, they taught me that circumstances can change.
I once was broke.
But I was never without hope.
My pockets may have been empty, but my dreams were not.
And sometimes, all it takes is one good friend, one decision, and the courage to keep going to change the direction of your life.
So if you are struggling today, remember this:
Your current situation is not necessarily your final destination.
You may not have everything you want right now.
You may not know exactly how your story will end.
But don’t give up on the possibility of a better chapter.
Because sometimes the person with the empty pockets today becomes the person with a life full of memories tomorrow.
And when that day comes, you may look back and realize that the hardest part of your journey was also the part that made you strongest.
**I once was broke.
But I never stopped believing that my story could change.**
Have you ever faced a difficult time that later taught you an important lesson about life?

Comments
Post a Comment